The Guyana Fire Service (GFS) is currently investigating the circumstances, which led to a fire today January 5, 2022, at Berbice, that caused the death of 75-year-old, Oscar Liddell.
According to reports, the Fire Department was alerted to the incident at 6:39hrs and Water Tenders #74 and #101 from the New Amsterdam Fire Station, were immediately dispatched to the Lot 2734 Pilot Street New Amsterdam, Berbice location.
The engulfed building—a two storey wooden and concrete building—is owned by John Liddell and was occupied by the deceased, Oscar Liddell.
The purported cause of the fire, is said to be a lighted gas stove left unattended, which reportedly flared up and ignited nearby combustible materials.
Two jets working from Water Tender #101 tank supply along with a water relay from WT#74 were used to extinguish the fire.